Loving My Life as Wife, Mother and Grandmother

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Hot chocolate, a poem and a prayer :)

It's been a cold weekend here. Sam is still feeling under the weather and Mark has started feeling a lot worse today. I think he is going in to work tonight and checking things out, and then coming back home.. The terrible cold and snowy, damp weather we've been having is not helping at all. It makes you want to stay in and settle down with a cup of hot chocolate and a good book.
Sam likes his hot chocolate with a candy cane it it!! It's very soothing when you have a sore throat :)

I spent some time cuddled up in my quilt doing some knitting this afternoon. We watched "Despicable Me" this weekend. I wasn't sure if I would like it or not, but I did! In the end the "bad" main character turned out to not be so bad after all :) I'm a sucker for a happy ending :)
A few days ago I ran across a great poem on a new friends blog. Her name is Anita and she has a lovely blog... I am so glad to have her as a new friend:) I of course had to ask her if I could use the poem here...and she said yes! Please check her blog out..I am sure you will enjoy it as much as I do...Busy Hands Busy Mind :)
As many of you know, I do a lot of reading aloud to Sam, due to his Tourettes. So, naturally this poem hit a soft spot in my heart. I immediately thought of another friend,..Lori...who's son suffers from Tourettes as well..You can meet her at her blog here...Jehovah Jireh Dwells Here..
So here is the poem...I loved it and hope you do too! Thanks Anita for sharing :)

When Mother Reads Aloud
Anonymous

When Mother reads aloud, the past
Seems real as every day;
I hear the tramp of armies vast,
I see the spears and lances cast,
I join the trilling fray;
Brave knights and ladies fair and proud
I meet when Mother reads aloud.

When Mother reads aloud, far lands
Seem very near and true;
I cross the desert's gleaming sands,
Or hunt the jungle's prowling bands,
Or sail the ocean blue.
Far heights, whose peaks the cold mists shroud,
I scale, when Mother reads aloud.

When Mother reads aloud, I long
for noble deeds to do--
To help the right, redress the wrong;
It seems so easy to be strong,
So simple to be true.
Oh, thick and fast the visions crowd
My eyes, when Mother reads aloud.

I had the pleasure of babysitting sweet little Maci this weekend. I've already posted some pics of her on my facebook page..But, I couldn't resist putting one on here too!
She is really growing. It seems like time passes so much faster when we get older. I remember as a child waiting on birthdays, Christmas, summer break..it seemed that time was so slow! Now I feel like I'm on a snowball and it's rolling down the hill at 100 mph :)
On a not so happy note, I found out this weekend about a homeschool family that's children were taken away from them...SO sad! I thought I would post a link and that maybe everyone could keep them in their prayers. It's always sad to hear about families being split up..the poor children :( Please if you could, ask other friends and families that you know to pray for them too!
I know I've shared here that I've been dealing with a lot of heartache this last year. My wonderful new family doctor suggested that I read a book called "Life's Healing Choices" by John Baker. I started on it before I had my hysterectomy, then I felt like I couldn't get BACK into it..I think I found some of the personal stories of others' trials and heartaches to be too much for me. So, I am going to make an earnest attempt to finish it..even if it means scimming over some of the testimonies. One of the first things in the book is a prayer to pray...I thought I would share it here. The book deals with helping us (through God) to get over life's hurts, hang-up, and bad habit..Of putting God in charge...REALLY in charge of our lives....
Dear God, please help me not to ignore this pain You are using to alert me to my need for help. In the past, as I've ignored the denial busters You've allowed in my life, I have actually refused Your help. I am so sorry for this and ask Your help in facing the truth and trusting You to care for me. You know and care about all the pain and hurt I have in my life. Today I need Your help. I can't do it on my own. I have tried, and I keep coming up empty.
First, I pray for Your power in my life. I need Your power to break habits I can't break. I need Your power to help me to do the things that I know are right but can't seem to do on my own. I need Your power to break free from my past. I ask for Your power to get on with the plans You have for my life.
Next, I pray for love. I want real love. I want to be able to love people and have them love me. I pray that with Your love I can let go of past hurts and failures so I can tear down the walls of fake intimacy. God, I ask You to help me have genuine intimacy with You and others. Help me not be afraid of really loving and of really being loved.
I also pray for real self-control. I realize that I'm really not in control until I allow Christ to be in control of my life and circumstances.
God, please grant me Your power, love, and self-control. Help me to continue making healing choices. Amen.
I'm sorry for such a long post, but I felt moved to share that prayer...I think the control issue is probably a struggle for most of us. Really giving in and letting God control everything..that can be SO hard to do.
I better go for now. Since Mark has been working 3rd shift, it's been a struggle for me to not follow in being up at night. He calls me on his breaks and so then I'm up at night:( I feel like I can't tell him not to call. He is the only person there at the school at night..so I'm sure he gets tired and lonely..So, when he calls...I talk ;) What's a wife to do? I think he's being protective too..calling and checking up on us, to make sure we're safe here :)
I hope your weekend was a happy one and that the week starting will be happy and blessed as well.....Love and Hugs, Jerelene
PS...I always find it funny that spellcheck tells me that I'm mispelling my name :) HUGS


7 comments:

Rebecca said...

Dear Jerelene, I SO hope that your family is soon back to good health. The body/mind/spirit connection is SO strong.

Thank you for posting that prayer. It expresses the prayer of my heart SO powerfully! God has been working in my heart and bringing me to a place where I REALLY, REALLY want what the prayer expresses. (I've been in a valley of illness, discouragement, and non-productivity and was beginning to wonder if I would get out of it!)

Trusting for you (and all of us) a joyful and useful week, lived in the love and strength of Jesus & not relying on ourselves!

Jackie said...

Dear sweet Jerelene...
Your blog is such a heart-warming one...and brings smiles and tears. That's one of the things that makes you so special to me. You write from your heart...and it's as if you are talking...just to me. What a gift that is.
The photo of the snow is beautiful to me (as I never EVER get to see snow...sigh.) I do hope that it warms up for you, though. I assume that with the snow and cold, one can get tired of the cold...(I can only imagine.)
Regarding Mark, I'm going to pray especially for him, for you, and for Sam tonight. As I pray, I'm going to lift up the family that is separated from their children. Thank you for your spirit of love and regard for the needs of others. That is another thing that I love about you, Jerelene....your sincere kindness for your fellow man. I've commented on your FB page about beautiful Maci...but you know that from one Nana to another, I can't and won't let a chance go by without sending baby shuuuugar and kisses to her....what a sweet princess she is.
I will pray for your heartache and struggles, too, Jerelene. I know that God knows them...and will hold you close to Him and take tender care of you. I promise that you and your family and those you requested prayer for will be in my prayers.
Hugs and much love to you, my friend....
Jackie

Rae said...

Hi Jerelene, I am happy to see you over at my blog. I enjoy meeting new friends. Glad to see you enter my giveaway... good luck. Hope you have a blessed day.

Shari said...

Hi Jerelene~I am really enjoying your blog.I'm going to have to get your help in "prettying up" my blog. Yours is so cute!

I hope everyone there is starting to feel better. This has been a bad winter for illness.

I think Maci is so, so beautiful! I bet you are just loving being a Grandma. I cannot wait!

Talk to you soon!
Sharon

Mari said...

Hi Jerelene,
Thanks for stopping at my blog.
I have a cold and a sore throat and have been drinking hot chocolate with candy cane too. It really does feel good on the throat!
Your little Maci is adorable!

Diana said...

Hi Jerelene!
Baby Maci is so sweet and cute, I can only imagine all of the snuggles she gets while visiting! Does Sam enjoy her company too?
Your phone calls remind me of my husband as that is about 90% of our relationship, by phone! Mark probably is lonely there at night, I know Jake gets lonely too, we talk quite often, several times a day!
Katie and I haven't been to Evansville. She always insists on going to Fairview heights and I hate it there because it's too much walking for me. Maybe this summer I can talk her into a trip to Evansville Mall instead. I would love to visit with you too!
That was a lovely prayer Jerelene, I hope everyone starts feeling better soon. This has been a long yucky winter! Love Di ♥

Mrs Mary Joy Pershing said...

Jerelene,

Its so nice to meet you! I am so glad that I have found your blog since your visit. What a heart touching post. I understand how hard it is when everyone is sick and is so cold outside. My husband and I are sick this week and I have a strained lower back on top of it. So I am doing lots of praying and some resting and trying to do things to take care of my family as I am able to walk around.

Sounds like you have a wonderful family! I look forward to getting to know you through our blogging world...I'll be back again to read more soon.

Have a wonderful weekend! Hope everyone is feeling better soon!

Building Home with Him,

Mary Joy